Layout

Thursday, November 25, 2010

365 Days of Gratitude and Simplicity Day 16

November 25, 2010
*All content has been taken from SImple Abundance. Some content has been shortened for the purpose of 365 Days of Gratitude. 

A Sense of Order
Order is the shape upon which beauty depends. ~Pearl Buck

Brother Lawrence, wrote in his devotional classic, Practicing the Presence of God, that frequently he felt the spirit of God among the pots, pans, and potatoes in his kitchen as he was preparing meals for his fellow monks. 


Anytime I'm feeling out of sorts, worrying, concerned, or having anxiety, I immediately turn to homegrown rituals. I work out, I clean and get my house in order and it seems to remind me that I might not be able to control  control things on the outside, but I have control over my own inner resources. 


There is an immediate emotional and psychological connection and payoff to getting our house in order. 


I don't know about you, but I cannot think clearly when surrounded by clutter, chaos, and confusion. Start small. Set the timer for 15 and have everyone in your house take that time to pick up something, organize something, wipe something. 


"It's not the tragedies that kill us, it's the messes." Dorothy Parker

Today's challenge: What needs to have order in your house? Pick one area, one room, one drawer, one cabinet.  

Today's exercise: Write down 10 things you are grateful for in this moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment